Update as of Tuesday April 21, 2009 3pm: Our bill was on the calendar for today's hearing. The schedule was packed and we were not heard. HOWEVER, keep the calls, emails, and contacts coming! We will be heard in the same committee on 4/28 at 2pm! Please continue to contact these committee members!
Calling All NC Social Workers: Our Title Protection Bill, HB 1168, will be up in the State Government/State Personnel Committee tomorrow! We need you to call and ask these legislators to support our bill!
1. Rep. Winkie WIlkins * Winkie.Wilkins@ncleg.net * District 55 * 919-715-0850 * Chair
2. Rep. Ty Harrell * Ty.Harrell@ncleg.net * District 41 * 919-733-5602 * Vice-Chair * Ty's Legislative Assistant, Lara Swanson is a MSW!
3. Rep. Darren Jackson * Darren.Jackson@ncleg.net * District 39 * 919-733-5974 * Vice-Chair
4. Rep. Annie Mobley * Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net * District 5 * 919-733-5780 * Vice-Chair
5. Rep. Justin Burr * Justin.Burr@ncleg.net * District 67 * 919-733-5908 * Member
6. Rep. Carolyn Justus* Carolyn.Justus@ncleg.net * District 117 * 919-733-5956 * Member
7. Rep. Ric Killian * Ric.Killian@ncleg.net * District 105 * 919-733-5886 * Member
8. Rep. Nick Mackey * Nick.Mackey@ncleg.net * District 99 * 919-733-5606 * Member
9. Rep. Shirley Randleman * Shirley.Randleman@ncleg.net * District 94 * 919-733-5935 * Member
10. Rep. Efton Sager * Efton.Sager@ncleg.net * District 11 * 919-733-5755 * Member
11. Rep. Ronnie Sutton * Ron.Sutton@ncleg.net * District 47 * 919-715-0875 * Member
12. Rep. Laura Wiley * Laura.Wiley@ncleg.net * District 61 * 919-733-5877 * Member
13. Rep. Larry Womble * Larry.Womble@ncleg.net * District 71 * 919-733-5777 * Member
14. Rep. Douglas Yongue * Douglas.Yongue@ncleg.net * District 46 * 919-733-5821 * Member
What the Bill Does:
1. Mandates that employers in the private sector hire only those with Social Work degrees (BSW, MSW, PhD).
2. Creates a mandated review of the State Personnel Social Work Series every 4 years.
3. Opts-out, or removes from consideration, public sector employees whose job title is derived from the State Personnel Social Work Series.
4. Aligns NC with over 20 other states who protect non-licensed, non-certified, degreed Social Workers title.
What the Bill Does Not Do:
Force anyone to lose their job. Employees in the public sector (i.e., DSS & Public Health) would be exempt from this bill.
Contact NASW-NC's Director of Advocacy & Legislation, Jack Register at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or questions.